Friday, June 11, 2010

What if I lived dead to self?

Jesus said “if a believer loses his life for me he will find it” (Matthew 16:25). If I understand what Jesus is saying, He’s saying when I come to that place of death in myself that is when I will truly find the life He longs to give us.

So just think if we died to ourselves (like physical death):

-That thing called offense, resentment, or grudges it doesn’t affect someone who is dead to self.

-The selfish bug that bites us so often and causes much of the conflict in relationships. When you are dead, you find yourself thinking more of others (your dead).

-The embarrassment we feel to step out for God, that fear of speaking up or stepping out in faith, the self consciousness of looking different; guess what when you are dead to self you think a whole lot more about what God wants and less about your comfort. (you are dead to self….right?)

Think about how liberating it would be to truly be dead to self. I am blown away by the amount of life, freedom, joy, and God moments that could be experienced where fear and self consciousness was put to rest. Apparently it became a way of life for Paul, he declared “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;” (Galatians 2:20). Can’t say I am there yet but striving to do the same.

No comments: